Friday, June 15, 2012

Dancers



Ah, the wonders of the Internet. This blog has brought me back into contact with some high school friends of many years ago. And among other readers are Jon and Janet Reed from right across the street. Jon recently suggested several things I might write about–among them, what makes a good audience.

The first and most essential point about a good audience is that it is an audience. People are there. As I said before, live music really needs support. That is especially important for bands playing some place regularly. Bands making one appearance have to publicize that single event and people see that it is a one-time, one-chance thing. Bands playing every week–well, it’s too easy for people to say we’re going to come and catch you one of these days. The people who run clubs and lounges are generally very supportive but they do need a good business to sustain live music.

Enough editorial comment. I think of audiences as either dancers or listeners (not different people necessarily, just different activities).

"It Don’t Mean a Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing"–so said Duke Ellington. Dancers help put the beat in motion. They give it a physical, dramatic presence in the room. They not only feel the beat themselves; they help others feel it. In subtle ways, I find that it makes a difference in the way I am playing when the dancing begins.

And the range in dancers, the variety, is wonderful.

Visitors from Denmark
This woman told me that they have a copy of our CD in their home in Copenhagen and they play it almost every day. One nice comment like that sets me up for the night.

Sometimes dancing is a very spontaneous thing. It just has to happen. One young blond leapt to her feet and started the famous Duke Ellington at Newport eruption in 1956. And here is what happened when we played at Mount Vernon’s Chocolate Stroll.












I love seeing people go into motion. And I have something in common with them. I’m not much of a dancer, but I can’t hold still when the music starts to roll.



Next time: listeners.

Upcoming appearances: the Longbranch on Friday (6/15) 7:00-11:00; the Marriott in Coralville on Saturday (6/16) 7:00-10:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment